1.14.2009



Mr. Walsh sent me a sermon by Tim Keller titled: "War Between Your Selves" on Romans 7 that is full of truth, and my last post was a song from the musical version of Jekyll Hyde.

"So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin

Romans 7:21-25

"All of a life is a battle between two selves. But there's a different war before when you meet Christ, and after you meet Christ. The war before you meet Christ you cannot win; the war after you meet Christ you cannot lose... you're going to be in one of them"

"In the 10th commandment, you get a definition of sin. You see what all the other commandments are getting at: coveting."

Covetousness: not just wanting something. To inordinately want something. It's wanting anything more than God. Saying that there's something besides God, His love, and His salvation that I've got to have as a requirement for being happy. That's coveting and the essence of sin. It's the essence of what's wrong with the world, with you with me.

Coveting is not wanting it, but HAVING to have it. Paul coveted morality when he was Saul.

Religiousness is covetousness, and bringing us away from Jesus, not closer.

Tim Keller has the ability to put profound things simply, without losing their force, it's really incredible.

Dependent upon Christ,
-Scotty

1 comment:

Christi Joy said...

oh my goodness! this is exactly how I feel....although sometimes when the evil that lies close at hand overtakes me I wonder if deep down in my soul I truely do desire to do what's right... It is so easy to fake Christianity.