5.09.2008


Great. REAL bullets.

I'm reading sheperding a child's heart by Tedd Tripp, given to me by my roomate. Since I wasn't currently really reading anything, I decided to read it... which I mostly do at work. It's really Biblical, it gives me hope for being a parent some day. But it also makes me think of my wretched self, and my own need for Jesus. I'm going to just write down a few things I think were excellent words.

God does open-heart sugery, not a face-lift. He produces change from the inside out. He rejects the man who fasts twice a week and accepts the sinner who cries for mercy.

The finest art of communication is not learning how to express your thoughts. It is learning how to draw out the thoughts of others.

Think about the Incarnation of Jesus Christ. It is a good model for interaction with yuor children. God could have remained off in heaven. He could have spoken through cloud and thunder as he did in Exodus 19. But what does God do in the incarnation? He comes to earth to dewll with us. He takes on flesh and blood like your flesh and blood. He takes a human psychology like we have. He accepts all the limitations of a man on the earth; he can only be in one place at one time. He experiences all the things we experience. He is tired and hungry at Jacob's well in John 4. He weeps at Lazarus' tomb. Hebrews 2 says "He suffered when he was tempted." p. 76 Therefore, since we have this great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we posess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receieve mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:14-16)

You can also encourage your children that the unending grace and mercy that you have found in Jesus Christ is offered to them as well. In him there is righteousness that we cannot produce, forgiveness that we cannot merit, and power that we cannot generate. There is hope for needy people in this one who became flesh and dwelt with us.

well.. I'm done with work, so I'm out.
grace and peace,
Scotty

No comments: