8.08.2008



Pensicola Christian College.

Why I'm excited to go to probably the most legalistic (so it seems) Christian college in the nation.

1. God was the one who set it up.
2. It's uber cheap.
3. One of the best Nursing programs in the nation.
4. Jeff Dreblow.
5. It's a 4 year degree.

Okay, number 1 and 4 are similar. It's a cool story, that's clearly all God.
I think the coolest part began Wednesday, July 30. Master Luke called me at some point that evening and told me that he just found out he couldn't lead the Thursday night Bible study and if I would take over. Up to that point, I'd been working till 8 on Thursdays, so I had very little idea of what the nights were supposed to look like. I had nothing prepared, so I printed out 3 of my favorite worship songs, grabbed "Mornings & Evenings" by Charles Spurgeon, and bought 2 bags of strawberry twizzlers, the kind that has 9 separate pieces that you can peel apart. I felt like I had had ample time to prepare SOMETHING. I learned a lesson recently, right? mmm. okay. I've got nothing. "Heavenly Father I've got nothing, but I'd really like you to show up tonight, to encourage others, not for my glory. In fact, have somebody else have better ideas than me, so that I know it was all you, and nobody has any inkling that any part of it was because of me." It went something like that.

We ate hot dogs, chips, apples and Anna and Esther made cup cakes for us.

We moved to the grass, sat in a circle, and sang All I Once Held Dear, Only Jesus, and Inside Out. It wasn't an amazing sound, but it was good. Solid real lyrics helped me worship, and keep me from being distracted by the fact that only a handful people knew Inside out, and without the "yeaaaaaaahs" it was off. After passing around the twizzlers, I read July 30th's Evening devotion for the first time. It was about worshiping constantly, and how that worked in the temple. I think they always end with thought provoking questions so you have something to dwell on all day/evening. That started us off. Several people shared what God was doing in their lives, things they were learning, encouragement, discussion. Okay, why don't we pray. Laura said "can we split up guys and girls?" yeah. Good idea. Guys can do 2 groups, girls all together. "Forget that. We're going all together." Amidst constant mosquitoes feeding out of our flesh, the guys each shared prayer requests. It took a long time. I wanted to be different "lets pray for the person across to the left." "Scott, why don't we just pray for the person on our right, it'll be so much easier." "okay." Okay, why don't we have one person close, and all be praying for the person over the next week.

Friday I got an encouraging wallpost from Sam, that he was encouraged by Thursday night. "Thank you, Lord!" Later Hannah said similar, "even though I didn't say anything, I felt really refreshed by Thursday night." "Thank you, Lord!" I was encouraged. God answered my prayer because he loves me.

Saturday. Reserves. I got to teach a self-aid/buddy care class, which was fun. I asked permission to leave for a bit tomorrow to go to the International Airport, 5 minutes away. "as long as you're back in time to sign in." thank you sir.

Sunday. Family Day. At 11:30 I got to switch into civilian clothing and my whole family came out to spend a few hours. We ate good hot dogs and brats, kettle chips, potato salad and a m&m chocolate chip cookie. A lot of fun stuff to do, all free. 3 different inflatable climbing and jumping things. Sumo wrestling. A Jet to take pictures in. Snow cones, popcorn. Fire hose. Tricycles. Caricatures. Hot rods. A freaky clown with balloons. It was all fun, but I was most excited because the Ireland team was coming in that afternoon. at 3? Benny is probably the best brother ever. If ever ask him to do anything or come anywhere, he always puts me as a priority and says yes. Only in extreme circumstances where he already has big plans will he say no. Do you want to come greet the Ireland team with me? You did support Gabby, so it's not that weird and you know everybody else. Okay. We drove over at 3 and seconds before we drove to the parking ramp, Micaela called and told me that they'd be there at 3:45. We went back, and played tennis at the base. We arrived a minute after the team, which was perfect timing, because of course they all wanted to see their families first. I wish I had been there to take some pictures, but that was also covered. It was soooo good to see them. And hugs after 2 weeks of not seeing somebody are sweet. Even when they all have backpacks and luggage.
Basically I just gave a hug to everybody, and then left, because I had to be back at the base to sign out/get in on the meeting).

Benny who told me later he was planning on just taking a nap came in, because I asked him to. Meet the guys. There's several cool guys, one of them is a 25, a Christian and very excited about engineering. They would get along well. But he didn't really talk to him. Instead he talked to Staff Sargent Kevin McGuire. Also a Christian. He talked to him for like 15 minutes, he didn't talk to a bunch of guys, just him. About college? Benny's graduated. He doesn't need to go to college. Maybe they were discussing graduating college, because SSgt McGuire's daughter just graduated too. From Pensacola Christian College. They've got a great nursing program. Really affordable. Really weird and legalistic, which I don't like, but it's a good school. (I overheard some of the conversation, part of it I'm just repeating what Benny told me when he got in the car). Sunday night everybody was crabbing and fighting. Laura has a one track mind and this time was trying to convince me go to some Georgia college because of Campus Outreach. She was thinking of me, she wanted to help me out. She just got back from Beach Project with Campus Outreach which was awesome. "Laura, I don't care about Campus Outreach." I've never been that connected to Campus outreach, but have been loosely connected basically since Benny started being discipled by Big A. Maybe it's because "Salz" is taken, and I'm a little brother. I don't know, but it's just never really clicked. Anyhow, she kept on listing off 10 good reasons I should go there. To me, her only reason was Campus Outreach was on campus there and she was trying to find other reasons to get me there, because of C.O. AHHHHH!!! LAURA. SHUT UP! mom, calmly next to me. "scottttt, you can't say shut up to Laura, that's rude, and offensive and unkind (something to that extent." "I know, but Laura, just shut up." (reasoning with her doesn't help, and I was maxed out. and crabby.) I never do this, but after I apologized to Laura quickly, because I knew I was wrong, I left. I drove away. Mom was trying to help me look for colleges, but I couldn't take it anymore. Being the good mother she is, she called me later, "Scott, I looked at Pensacola, and it looks really good." It's got some weird quirks, but it looks good, and the nursing program is accredited.

Alright, I'm going to do this. What do I need to do? Transfer to an AF base down there. Google search: Air Force Reserve Bases, FL. First Answer: 10.1 hours away, opposite part of the state. Aww, Peas. I guess I COULD do it. Georgia's probably closer than THAT. Went to the Air Force Reserves sites. ALL Reserve Bases. Egland. 1 Hour, 10 minutes away. Heck, some guys drive from South Dakota for drill in MN. That's nothing! Gosh, I know somebody was praying for me, but who would be praying for me? Wait, who was sitting on my left? was it Prater? nope.. hmmm. The thought passed, and I forgot about it.

Thursday August 7th. After group. Jeff Dreblow comes and sits next to me. "Hey Scott, I really struggle praying for people. Like in my small group, I pray for the guy the 1st day. And I'm really bad at being consistent." At first I was like "what the heck would inspire such a confession?" *ZOIP* it hit me. I got REALLY excited!! I WAS LIKE OH MY GOSH!!!!!! and he continued and was like but for some reason it was on my heart to pray for you every day. JEFF... And I told him.

God answered my plea for help. This was the prayer request I shared with the guys a week before, which Jeff prayer for. Okay. I'm 22, most people my age are graduated with a 4 year degree. I haven't applied to any community colleges for this fall yet, I've slacked. The nursing programs are so competitive, that there's a waiting list anyhow, so it probably won't be for years. I feel lack of purpose, direction, and like I'm going to end up never doing anything. I have no "one pure and holy passion." I AM slothful in Zeal and am NOT fervent in spirit. That's as much as I remember, that and the fact that I know I whined more, and knew it. oh. THAT AND the fact that my head and heart don't connect like they should.

Because my prayers were answered, my faith is increased. It's as if God's like, here. Believe! in your Heart! I'm certainly a Doubting Thomas. And He's showing me his scars. It's Me.

I'm not posting this until I know everything else though. But I wanted to record the story as fresh as I could remember, though I'll still remember it in years.

Okay. I'm back a few days later. I'm scrambling about filling out forms, this afternoon I'll go the the base here and take care of transferring down to Fl. This is the tricky thing for summer and Christmas. Hopefully they'll let me do "courtesy drills" up here during the summer, but some places don't like doing them.

I'm going to miss my family, especially Benny, who is the best brother in the world.
It will be hard to depart my small group with Andys and Tommy.
I'm going to miss being in the family's small group- the Huertas, Petersons and Wymans.
I'm going to miss wearing NOT sweater vests. = P
But I feel like this is a God thing, so I'm not worried.

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody this Winter.

Pepsicola Probable Potential Pupil,
-Scotty

3 comments:

m.j.nels said...

such an amazing story! last night when you told it it me i got so excited for you! its so cool to see God working in your life. Best of luck to you as you go down to FL i'll be praying for ya.

PS
our family goes down every spring break (marchish/ aprilish) we should totally hook up and chil in FL!

Scotty said...

yeah we should. after scrolling down to the bottom of the page i was like... SMOKES! a COMMENT? who in their right mind would actually READ that? and then my heart settled, knowing it was you, who listened kindly last night :)

Christi Joy said...

wow scotty! that's really cool how God worked everything together!! :) May HE continue to bless and amaze you in the months and years to come!!!!