2.07.2010

Band of Brothers



I've been learning the importance of fellowship. Incomplete thoughts, but hopefully they help stir thoughts.

Fellowship:

1. Is Biblical (well, duh):
Jesus and His disciples, specifically Peter, James, and John. He send the 72 out in PAIRS. Romans 12 - we are members one of another, one body in Christ. Paul and Timothy. Paul and Barna. Many of Paul's letters talk about it in the intros. God's way is how it's best. "Christianity is PERSONAL, but not PRIVATE."- Matt Chandler.

2. It encourages me through their trials: I need to hear that I'm not the only sinner in need of Jesus. Most sin is internal. I know my sin best. That means I know my sin better than everybody else knows my sin. If Christians are real with themselves, they probably feel more sinful than everyone around them.

3. It encourages me to stop thinking about me:: Hearing other's trials and joy gets my eyes off of me. I can rejoice with them, pray for them.

4. We are built for relationships I like to be perfect, and stay away from anything that shows me I'm not. That's problematic, because that keeps me from Jesus. Well truth is I AM perfect in Jesus and therefore can risk being imperfect in my relationships with people. Last year I didn't invest in really any relationships at school. I didn't make many mistakes because of that. I also didn't grow much. This semester even thus far has grown a lot. I still suck at forgetting myself and loving people with a Gospel lens.

5. It grows me in humility: I'm filthy proud, Sometimes my pride is the subtle disgusting form of "Poor Me.". Being with people makes me see my sin in a way that nothing else does. I get angry at them. I get impatient with them. I can't control them. I can't save them. I can't love them perfectly. I NEED JESUS!

6. It has shown me the power of prayer. A buddy of mine prayed for me. Over the phone. God answered that prayer the next day. I DONT HAVE THAT KIND OF FAITH! Benny said "it's like Aladdin- when Aladdin is gagged at the bottom of the ocean and Genie takes his Bubbles as a yes." God wants to bless us. But He wants us to want Him not the blessing.

So I am not stopped because I'm a sinner. I am 100% accepted by God because of Jesus, and this not of my own, it is a gift of God. I forget this and need to be constantly reminded.

All people either: Share the most important thing with me (Saved by grace), or need Jesus. That means I have a really good practical reason to love them. (Sometimes that they're made in the Image of God isn't enough for me.)

I'm thankful for the body of Christ. I'm thankful for my brothers and my sisters. And I'm thankful that it's because of Jesus.

Battling alongside,
-Scotty

No comments: