Big Gulps, eh?
With my boxers showing through the bottom of my short Air Force running shorts, the XL Shake your boooooty shirt from Sadies 2003, 1 black & 1 white sock, Benny and I went running last night. He didn't look quite so ridiculous, but it was 23:00 and dark, so it mattered not. Just two shirtless skinny dudes running on the river road. Running with somebody is excellent. It's a good analogy to Christianity. Really it's like literally iron sharpening iron. "I'm not going to let him beat me, OR I want push him harder, so I'll keep right ahead of him." Alone, I want to quit, and oftentimes will. With somebody? I want to quit, but there's no way I will. And if you're training for a race it works out even better and there's verses about it. It's also a great time for conversation, we jogged a few blocks, streched, ran slow and talked, then turned around and started faster, increasingly to a sprint. Benny won by 20 feet. Just a dead spring uphill for 100 feet. We were talking about how sinful we are. I'm usually on one of two ends, either loving Jesus for some lesser benefit such as girls or respect OR the opposite of doing good in order to serve Jesus as though he needed me to, and benefitted greatly from it. Kim reminded me of something Pastor John said - that He enables us to do good works, so the very act of doing any good works further indebts us to Him.
Confessing sin is hard, but so good. It's such a lie that we're alone. And that's encouraging. Iron sharpening Iron. Luke has encouraged me a lot in this area as well. He's so good at pointing it right back on the Gospel, and Jesus. I usually get stuck on little things, or one thing. He's good at seeing the big picture of the little things. The body of Christ is incredible, but I don't really believe that most of the time. I am so thankful that it all depends on Christ's righteousness, not ours. So I'm not a writer, nor a good communicator, but that's what I've been thinking about lately. And I'm at work and all my tasks are done for the evening. I'm so blessed to have such incerdible friends and family in Christ. Maybe sometime I'll post on here things I love about each one of you like Gabby does, but now's not the time.
Welp, seeya later!
2 comments:
hey i like your writing style! its kind of random and bounces around but its fun to read, its sort of like having a conversation which is good for a blog :-) sorry i can't make it to swing dancing tonight :-(
I loved this post and i definitely can agree with everything you said about running being a good analogy. I mentally constructed the best "top ten worship music for running" in my head on my last run and i think I might blog about it, in which case you should try it out on your next run.
And love that you appreciate your friends and share about them. Perkins with you and Luke ANYTIME.
gabs
Post a Comment